Pediatric Home Health Care in Great Neck, NY – What Do Siblings of Sick Children Need?
It’s not easy as a parent to have a sick child, especially when there are other dependent children in the family. When your child returns home from the hospital, pediatric nursing care is the ideal solution. Your child gets the medical attention he or she needs while you can tend to your job, your spouse and the needs of the other children.
What are the needs of your other children? Besides the everyday basic needs of the average child, they may also be experiencing some stress and mixed feelings about the illness of their sibling.
“Family routines and dynamics naturally change when a child is ill, which can confuse and distress healthy siblings. In addition to fear and anxiety over the illness, they often experience the feeling of loss of a “normal” family life, and loss of their identity within the family.” http://kidshealth.org/parent/positive/talk/sibling_care.html
Some of the emotions the siblings may feel include:
· Anger because the parents seem to be spending more of their time for the sick child
· Guilty because they feel angry at their parents and resentful of their sick sibling taking so much attention
· Neglect because they aren’t getting all their needs met or they think nobody in the family knows they need more attention
· Resenting of the sick child who doesn’t have to do as much homework or chores as they do
· Worry their sister or brother might die
· Fear that their sibling is suffering and in pain
· Worry they or the other children may catch the same illness and die
· Sadness when their sick sibling can’t participate in games and activities
· Wishing things could be perfect or go back to the way they were before the illness or injury
· Feeling bad for the times they were “mean” to their sick sibling
· Uncertainty about the future for themselves, the sick child and the family as a whole
All children express themselves in different ways. Try to find a way to connect with your well children and help them release their worries and anxieties. Reassure them you care about all of them and you’re all trying to do your best.
If you or an aging loved one are in need of pediatric home health care services in Great Neck, NY or the surrounding areas, contact the caring professionals at Star Multi Care Services today at (631)956-8835. We are the Right Choice for Home Health Care Services!
Providing Services to Floral Park, Great Neck, Manhasset, Rockville Center, Plainview, Huntington, Massapequa, Dix Hills, Northport, and Stonybrook
From 1978 to 1986, Sternbach was associated with Automated Data Processing, Inc. (“ADP”)–a provider of information services, where he held several marketing positions before becoming the Director of Sales.
1999-2008 Sternbach was an active participant on the Board of Directors for Proginet–a computer software company based in Garden City, New York. He also served on the Board of Trustees of the Long Island Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society from 1996-2002.
In 1996, Stephen Sternbach was named “Entrepreneur of the Year” by Ernst & Young, Paine Webber and NASDAQ. Sternbach was also named in Crain’s New York Business Article, “40 Under 40” Successful Business Executives/Future Business Leaders in 1995. While maintaining a diversity of business and personal interests, Sternbach concentrated most of his efforts over the past 28 years towards continuously improving the quality of services delivered by the Star Multi Care Services’ family of companies.
Stephen Sternbach holds a Master of Public Administration from Syracuse University – Maxwell School of Public Administration and a Bachelor of Arts in Industrial Relations and Personnel Administration from Ithaca College.
Latest posts by Stephen Sternbach (see all)
- Preparing Your Parent’s Home for a Weather Emergency - September 20, 2018
- What’s Changing About Medicare in 2019? - September 11, 2018
- Can Concussions Cause Complications? - September 6, 2018