In your role as a family caregiver, one of your most important priorities is making sure that your elderly parent takes proper care of their health. While you might think of the things that you do to address the health issues that you already know that they are suffering, it is also vital that prepare for the possibility of other health issues. Understanding the potential risks that your aging parent is facing will help you to make steps that can help to reduce these risks, identify when they might be struggling with particular issues, and prepare yourself to give them the care that they need to manage their needs properly.
August is National Eye Exam Month. This is the ideal time for you to consider the most common eye problems for older adults and determine which may be a risk for your senior.
Some of the most common eye problems associated with aging include:
- Macular degeneration. This is a condition that negatively impacts central vision and reduces sharpness and clarity.
- Cataracts. This is a condition that causes clouding over the lens of the eye, creating blurry vision
- Diabetic eye disease. Something to keep in mind if your senior is living with diabetes, this is a condition that results from damage caused to blood vessels in the eye.
- Glaucoma. A condition often linked to high levels of pressure in the eye, this is actually a group of diseases that can lead to vision loss and even eventual blindness.
- Dry eye. Not producing enough tears is common among elderly adults. This can result in eyes that are uncomfortable and reduce acuity of vision.
- Low vision. This condition is the reduction in vision caused by aging that means that even when using glasses or other adaptive devices, the vision is not as strong as it once was and your parent may not be able to handle tasks that they would generally be able to do, such as see small craft projects.
Starting senior care for your aging parent can be one of the best decisions that you make for them throughout the course of your caregiver journey with them. A senior home care services provider can be there for your elderly family member on a customized schedule that is right for their needs. This means that they can receive the right care, support, and assistance while also keeping you at the forefront of their care. The highly personalized services of a senior home care services provider are specifically designed to address your elderly parent’s individual needs, challenges, and limitations in such a way that they are able to stay healthy, safe, comfortable, and happy, and pursue a lifestyle that is as active, independent, and fulfilling as possible as they age in place. This can include anything from helping your parent to make good lifestyle choices to providing safe and reliable transportation and physical support and assistance to offering reminders to help them remain compliant with their medications and treatments.
If you or an aging loved one are in need of senior care in Manhasset, NY or the surrounding areas, contact the caring professionals at Star Multi Care Services today at (631)956-8835. We are the Right Choice for Home Health Care Services!
From 1978 to 1986, Sternbach was associated with Automated Data Processing, Inc. (“ADP”)–a provider of information services, where he held several marketing positions before becoming the Director of Sales.
1999-2008 Sternbach was an active participant on the Board of Directors for Proginet–a computer software company based in Garden City, New York. He also served on the Board of Trustees of the Long Island Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society from 1996-2002.
In 1996, Stephen Sternbach was named “Entrepreneur of the Year” by Ernst & Young, Paine Webber and NASDAQ. Sternbach was also named in Crain’s New York Business Article, “40 Under 40” Successful Business Executives/Future Business Leaders in 1995. While maintaining a diversity of business and personal interests, Sternbach concentrated most of his efforts over the past 28 years towards continuously improving the quality of services delivered by the Star Multi Care Services’ family of companies.
Stephen Sternbach holds a Master of Public Administration from Syracuse University – Maxwell School of Public Administration and a Bachelor of Arts in Industrial Relations and Personnel Administration from Ithaca College.
Latest posts by Stephen Sternbach (see all)
- Holiday Stress? Hire a Home Care Services Provider for Your Aging Loved One - December 11, 2018
- Will My Elderly Parent Need Post Surgery Care? - December 4, 2018
- Symptoms of Pneumonia in Aging Adults - November 27, 2018