Allergies can be miserable for your aging loved one and can even reduce their activity, diminishing their health. As their family caregiver, you can help your parent to cope with their allergies and experience less severe symptoms simply by making sure that their home is clean. Regular cleaning can make a tremendous difference in the presence of allergens in their home and help to make them more comfortable and allow them to experience fewer, less severe symptoms.
Use these tips to help keep your parents home with clean and reduce allergies:
- Make sure that their vacuum has a HEPA filter that is rated to remove and trap common allergens. Many vacuums do not feature such filters, which means that when an allergen such as dust and pet dander are removed from the carpet they are distributed into the air rather than being removed.
- Vacuum at least once per week if not more frequently to remove allergens such as pet dander, dust, dirt, mold, and pollen. It is particularly important to vacuum after having visitors or after leaving the home and returning frequently as you can track in allergens from outside.
- Replace the filters in your parents heating and cooling system with ones designed to trap allergens.
- Reduce the clutter in their home as much as possible. Knick knacks, boxes, and other items sitting around the home can attract dust and dirt.
- Scrub the bathroom regularly to remove any mold. Be sure to wash the shower curtain frequently.
- Wash sheets, pillowcases, and blankets weekly in hot water. Water of 130 degrees is necessary to kill dust mites.
- Avoid using cleaners with fragrances or chemicals as they can irritate the nose, throat, and lungs, making symptoms worse.
- Use a damp cloth or mop as much as possible when cleaning to trap allergens rather than just distributing them a back into the air.
- Do not shampoo carpets. Household machines do not remove all of the moisture in the carpet, which allows mold and mildew to grow. If your parents carpet needs a deep cleaning, consult a professional or use a steam cleaner.
If your aging parent has been suffering from increased challenges and needs, your own schedule or abilities have changed and you are no longer able to give them the level of care that you feel they need and deserve, or you simply feel that they would benefit from more diversified care, now may be the ideal time for you to start homecare for them. The highly personalized services of a homecare services provider are designed to specifically address your aging parents challenges and needs while also encouraging them to maintain as much independence as possible and to live a lifestyle that is active, engaged, and fulfilling.
These services can include transportation, companionship, meal preparation, assistance with personal care needs such as toileting and bathing, help with housekeeping tasks around the home, medication reminders to help them remain compliant, and more. As their family caregiver, that can help you feel more confident and secure that your loved one will have everything that they need to live their highest quality of life throughout their later years.
If you or an aging loved one are in need of Homecare Services in Plainview NY or the surrounding areas, contact the caring professionals at Star Multi Care Services today at (631)956-8835. We are the Right Choice for Home Health Care Services!
From 1978 to 1986, Sternbach was associated with Automated Data Processing, Inc. (“ADP”)–a provider of information services, where he held several marketing positions before becoming the Director of Sales.
1999-2008 Sternbach was an active participant on the Board of Directors for Proginet–a computer software company based in Garden City, New York. He also served on the Board of Trustees of the Long Island Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society from 1996-2002.
In 1996, Stephen Sternbach was named “Entrepreneur of the Year” by Ernst & Young, Paine Webber and NASDAQ. Sternbach was also named in Crain’s New York Business Article, “40 Under 40” Successful Business Executives/Future Business Leaders in 1995. While maintaining a diversity of business and personal interests, Sternbach concentrated most of his efforts over the past 28 years towards continuously improving the quality of services delivered by the Star Multi Care Services’ family of companies.
Stephen Sternbach holds a Master of Public Administration from Syracuse University – Maxwell School of Public Administration and a Bachelor of Arts in Industrial Relations and Personnel Administration from Ithaca College.
Latest posts by Stephen Sternbach (see all)
- Encouraging Your Senior to Get Active Again After Hip Surgery - January 15, 2019
- Smart Ways Seniors Are Avoiding the Grandparent Scam - January 9, 2019
- Start 2019 By Asking Your Parents These Questions About Home Care Needs - January 2, 2019