If you’re aging parent is one of the more than 30 million people throughout the United States who is currently living with diabetes, you know how important it is that they receive the appropriate level of care and support. As a family caregiver, it is your goal to help them to manage the challenges and symptoms can come along with diabetes, as well as to help them to make good lifestyle choices that can reduce the impact of the disease and may even help them to improve their body’s health over time.
While there are many things that you can do to help them in this way, if you are not able to be with your parent as frequently as you would like to be due to a busy schedule, the need to take care of your children as well, or other limitations, you may worry that you are not able to give them this support. Fortunately, senior care can be there for you and in-home senior care services provider can be with your parent to give them valuable personalized services that will help them to manage the treatment plan that you and their medical team devised so that you can feel confident your parent is getting all of the care that they need and that you are still able to focus on the other elements of your life.
Some of the ways that senior care can help a senior living with diabetes manage their treatment plan and care needs include:
- Bringing your parents to the grocery store and helping them to select healthy foods to stock their kitchen. They can help your parent to understand the dietary guidelines that were given to them by their doctor and to choose foods that fit in with these guidelines as well as your parents personal taste.
- Assisting your parent with meal and snack preparation to ensure that they are eating a healthy, balanced diet that will manage their diabetes as well as any other health issues that they might experience.
- Encouraging your aging loved one to find a form of physical activity that they enjoy and supporting them in participating in this activity as often as possible. Transportation, support, companionship, and assistance can make it possible for your parent to participate in a variety of enjoyable physical activities such as taking walks, aerobics classes, taking dance classes, swimming, and more.
- Providing medication reminders that will help your parent to remain compliant with their prescriptions and any guidelines offered to them by their doctor. These reminders will support your parent in taking their medications when and how they are supposed to so that they can gain the maximum benefit from these medications. This can be particularly useful for a senior who may be taking multiple prescriptions and may struggle to keep them organized or to take them in the appropriate ways due to restrictions such as not taking them with certain foods or at certain times of the day.
Starting senior care can be one of the best decisions that you can make for your aging parent during the course of your caregiver journey for them. An in-home senior care services provider can be with your aging parent on a fully customized schedule to ensure that they have access to the level of care, support, and assistance that is right for their individual needs.
This means that they will be able to manage their challenges and limitations in the way that is right for them so that they are able to live a lifestyle that is as fulfilling, active, and independent as possible as they age in place. As their family caregiver, this can give you tremendous peace of mind knowing that they are in the best hands both when you are able to be with them and when you are not.
If you or an aging loved one are in need of Senior Care Services in Floral Park NY or the surrounding areas, contact the caring professionals at Star Multi Care Services today at (631)956-8835. We are the Right Choice for Home Health Care Services!
From 1978 to 1986, Sternbach was associated with Automated Data Processing, Inc. (“ADP”)–a provider of information services, where he held several marketing positions before becoming the Director of Sales.
1999-2008 Sternbach was an active participant on the Board of Directors for Proginet–a computer software company based in Garden City, New York. He also served on the Board of Trustees of the Long Island Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society from 1996-2002.
In 1996, Stephen Sternbach was named “Entrepreneur of the Year” by Ernst & Young, Paine Webber and NASDAQ. Sternbach was also named in Crain’s New York Business Article, “40 Under 40” Successful Business Executives/Future Business Leaders in 1995. While maintaining a diversity of business and personal interests, Sternbach concentrated most of his efforts over the past 28 years towards continuously improving the quality of services delivered by the Star Multi Care Services’ family of companies.
Stephen Sternbach holds a Master of Public Administration from Syracuse University – Maxwell School of Public Administration and a Bachelor of Arts in Industrial Relations and Personnel Administration from Ithaca College.
Latest posts by Stephen Sternbach (see all)
- Encouraging Your Senior to Get Active Again After Hip Surgery - January 15, 2019
- Smart Ways Seniors Are Avoiding the Grandparent Scam - January 9, 2019
- Start 2019 By Asking Your Parents These Questions About Home Care Needs - January 2, 2019