Home Health Care near Manhasset, NY – Essential Tips to Lower Your Risk of Stroke
There are many misconceptions about what a stroke is and how it affects someone. A stroke is actually a change in how the blood flows to the brain. The brain is one of the most, sensitive organs in the body.
Aside from controlling all of the functions, everything from memories to bodily commands are stored in the brain. When a stroke happens, the brain loses the vital nutrients it needs to keep functioning and operating: blood flow and oxygen.
While several minutes without blood flow or oxygen can be recoverable, extended periods of time without these vital nutrients means brain cells die. Unlike other cells in the body, brain cells do not grow back once they have died.
This is why many stroke victims have trouble speaking, walking, or doing simple activities, as various parts of the brain could be affected and even damaged due to a lack of blood.
It is important to know about the two major kinds of strokes, ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes:
- An ischemic stroke is caused by a blockage or narrow artery that reduces are cuts off blood flow to certain parts of the brain.
- A hemorrhagic stroke is when a broken blood vessel releases blood into the brain, completely severing blood flow to certain areas.
There are some very important things an older adult can do to lower their risk of strokes. These can include:
- Controlling blood pressure is one of the best ways to reduce the risk of a stroke. As blood pressure is obviously linked to blood flow, making lifestyle changes or taking medications will help you manage the pressure and reduce the dangers of high and low blood pressure.
- Using tobacco products, especially smoking, increases the risk of a stroke.
- Cholesterol is a type of fat in the blood that can narrow and block arteries – increasing the likelihood of a stroke.
- Regular exercise helps overall health and can be important in managing blood pressure and weight.
- Eating healthy foods will help you reduce unnecessary fat and increase important bodily functions with fruit and vegetables.
For your senior loved one who has suffered a stroke and needs some rehabilitation and medical care at home, consider hiring senior health care services. A qualified caregiver will give skilled and loving medical care to your family member. There’s nothing like the comforts of home to help a senior recover more quickly and feel happier during their convalescence.
If you or an aging loved one are in need of Home Health Care services near Manhasset, NY or the surrounding areas, contact the caring professionals at Star Multi Care Services today at (631)956-8835. We are the Right Choice for Home Health Care Services!
Providing Services to Floral Park, Great Neck, Manhasset, Rockville Center, Plainview, Huntington, Massapequa, Dix Hills, Northport, and Stonybrook
- Three Tips on Choosing the Right Home Health Care Provider for Your Elderly Mom - September 16, 2020
- What Are Some of the Emotional Trouble Your Senior Might Experience? - September 9, 2020
- Tips for Providing the Best Care to Someone Who Has Dementia - September 2, 2020