Caregiver in Great Neck NY
The more time you spend with another person, the more likely it will be that an issue arises between you and that individual. If you have been your mother’s caregiver for some length of time, especially if she requires a great level of assistance on a regular basis, tension can build over time.
When you have an argument, when things get to be too much, it can lead to anger, resentment, and saying things that you or she may regret. After a blowout with somebody you care about, it’s important to apologize. Even if you think you are completely right, most people would agree that saying bad things in the heat of the moment is simply not acceptable, but it happens all the time. We are fallible creatures and as a result need to offer forgiveness and apologize for things we do to hurt other people.
Below are three ways you can apologize to your aging mother when an issue arises:
1. Prepare a special dinner. Even if you already prepare meals for her as a part of being a caregiver, maybe you have a tendency to focus on basic, quick meals rather than something extravagant. Perhaps there is a particular type of food she enjoys most, yet you haven’t made it for her in a long time. This would be a good opportunity to say you’re sorry with some tasty food.
2. Invite her out for a day. It’s a great idea for aging seniors, especially those who may spend a significant amount of time at home alone to get outside every once in a while. Plan a day out, either to the park, an art gallery, a museum, or just to a local café where you could sit and have a nice conversation together.
3. Talk to her about professional home care providers. Even though you’re her caregiver at the moment, you may be overwhelmed by stress and anxiety. That could be one of the reasons why you lost your temper and said things you wish you could take back. You can’t take them back, but also realize those comments, that fight, or other issue isn’t going to negate a lifetime of a strong relationship you two built together.
However, the tension, stress, anxiety, and other issues that have built within your life that led to the problem between you and your mother could be a symptom of stress and anxiety of being her caregiver. You may not have a lot of time to focus on her needs and if so, suggest that she rely on a professional home care provider, at least for a couple of days a week. This would allow you to devote more of your time to the relationship rather than taking care of her directly.
If you or an aging loved one are in need of caregiver services in Great Neck, NY or the surrounding areas, contact the caring professionals at Star Multi Care Services today at (631)956-8835. We are the Right Choice for Home Health Care Services!
From 1978 to 1986, Sternbach was associated with Automated Data Processing, Inc. (“ADP”)–a provider of information services, where he held several marketing positions before becoming the Director of Sales.
1999-2008 Sternbach was an active participant on the Board of Directors for Proginet–a computer software company based in Garden City, New York. He also served on the Board of Trustees of the Long Island Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society from 1996-2002.
In 1996, Stephen Sternbach was named “Entrepreneur of the Year” by Ernst & Young, Paine Webber and NASDAQ. Sternbach was also named in Crain’s New York Business Article, “40 Under 40” Successful Business Executives/Future Business Leaders in 1995. While maintaining a diversity of business and personal interests, Sternbach concentrated most of his efforts over the past 28 years towards continuously improving the quality of services delivered by the Star Multi Care Services’ family of companies.
Stephen Sternbach holds a Master of Public Administration from Syracuse University – Maxwell School of Public Administration and a Bachelor of Arts in Industrial Relations and Personnel Administration from Ithaca College.
Latest posts by Stephen Sternbach (see all)
- How to Cope When You Disagree with Your Senior’s Cancer Fight Choices - October 3, 2018
- STAR MULTI CARE HOPES TO BECOME THE IVY LEAGUE OF HOME HEALTH CARE - September 27, 2018
- Importance of Caring for Your Senior’s Oral Health During National Dental Hygiene Month - September 26, 2018