Home Health Care near Manhasset, NY – Essential Tips to Lower Your Risk of Stroke
There are many misconceptions about what a stroke is and how it affects someone. A stroke is actually a change in how the blood flows to the brain. The brain is one of the most, sensitive organs in the body.
Aside from controlling all of the functions, everything from memories to bodily commands are stored in the brain. When a stroke happens, the brain loses the vital nutrients it needs to keep functioning and operating: blood flow and oxygen.
While several minutes without blood flow or oxygen can be recoverable, extended periods of time without these vital nutrients means brain cells die. Unlike other cells in the body, brain cells do not grow back once they have died.
This is why many stroke victims have trouble speaking, walking, or doing simple activities, as various parts of the brain could be affected and even damaged due to a lack of blood.
It is important to know about the two major kinds of strokes, ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes:
- An ischemic stroke is caused by a blockage or narrow artery that reduces are cuts off blood flow to certain parts of the brain.
- A hemorrhagic stroke is when a broken blood vessel releases blood into the brain, completely severing blood flow to certain areas.
There are some very important things an older adult can do to lower their risk of strokes. These can include:
- Controlling blood pressure is one of the best ways to reduce the risk of a stroke. As blood pressure is obviously linked to blood flow, making lifestyle changes or taking medications will help you manage the pressure and reduce the dangers of high and low blood pressure.
- Using tobacco products, especially smoking, increases the risk of a stroke.
- Cholesterol is a type of fat in the blood that can narrow and block arteries – increasing the likelihood of a stroke.
- Regular exercise helps overall health and can be important in managing blood pressure and weight.
- Eating healthy foods will help you reduce unnecessary fat and increase important bodily functions with fruit and vegetables.
For your senior loved one who has suffered a stroke and needs some rehabilitation and medical care at home, consider hiring senior health care services. A qualified caregiver will give skilled and loving medical care to your family member. There’s nothing like the comforts of home to help a senior recover more quickly and feel happier during their convalescence.
If you or an aging loved one are in need of Home Health Care services near Manhasset, NY or the surrounding areas, contact the caring professionals at Star Multi Care Services today at (631)956-8835. We are the Right Choice for Home Health Care Services!
Providing Services to Floral Park, Great Neck, Manhasset, Rockville Center, Plainview, Huntington, Massapequa, Dix Hills, Northport, and Stonybrook
From 1978 to 1986, Sternbach was associated with Automated Data Processing, Inc. (“ADP”)–a provider of information services, where he held several marketing positions before becoming the Director of Sales.
1999-2008 Sternbach was an active participant on the Board of Directors for Proginet–a computer software company based in Garden City, New York. He also served on the Board of Trustees of the Long Island Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society from 1996-2002.
In 1996, Stephen Sternbach was named “Entrepreneur of the Year” by Ernst & Young, Paine Webber and NASDAQ. Sternbach was also named in Crain’s New York Business Article, “40 Under 40” Successful Business Executives/Future Business Leaders in 1995. While maintaining a diversity of business and personal interests, Sternbach concentrated most of his efforts over the past 28 years towards continuously improving the quality of services delivered by the Star Multi Care Services’ family of companies.
Stephen Sternbach holds a Master of Public Administration from Syracuse University – Maxwell School of Public Administration and a Bachelor of Arts in Industrial Relations and Personnel Administration from Ithaca College.
Latest posts by Stephen Sternbach (see all)
- How to Cope When You Disagree with Your Senior’s Cancer Fight Choices - October 3, 2018
- STAR MULTI CARE HOPES TO BECOME THE IVY LEAGUE OF HOME HEALTH CARE - September 27, 2018
- Importance of Caring for Your Senior’s Oral Health During National Dental Hygiene Month - September 26, 2018