Pediatric Home Health Care in Great Neck NY
When Nick and Selena adopted their 5 year-old daughter, they knew they had their work cut out for them. She had been diagnosed with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD) among other health conditions. They were excited to face whatever life had to bring them, and they learned a lot along the way. Looking back, here are some of the things they learned from their journey together.
1. Know ahead there will be some difficulties and uncertainties.
2. Educate yourself and other family members as much as you can about this condition and make some plans on how to work together and support each other.
3. Join a FASD support group online so you can connect with other parents.
4. Prepare your child’s school for your child. Make sure there is someone who is familiar with FASD to be your go-between. Ensure your child is able to access all special programs suited to his condition.
Nick and Selena explained to their daughter’s teacher the following scenarios:
· Our daughter’s emotional age is much younger than her chronological age. Don’t expect her to act her age.
· Our daughter has a loose grip on reality and can’t tell the difference between it and fantasy. She may make up stories about what happens in our family. If you have any concerns please call me.
· Our daughter may know the rules and have a desire to follow them but can’t control her impulsivity. When she apologizes, she really means it because she doesn’t know why she did something wrong. Her impulsivity won out.
· Our daughter can’t handle stress well. Situations that increase her stress level will only inflate the bad behavior.
· Please keep us informed of what’s happening. Our lines of communication are always open. Our daughter needs all the adults possible supporting her.
The good news is, their daughter attended public school and graduated from high school, with lots of help and support along the way. She made friends, she participated in choir and drama. She had her ups and downs but overall, everything turned out well.
When your child needs medical care at home, pediatric nursing care is the perfect solution. Hospitals can be strange and scary places for children. They would much rather be in the comfort of their own home, surrounded by the people they love the most and who love them. Children sleep better in their own bed and love to have their favorite toys close by. With some home nursing, they are happier and can recover more quickly.
If you are in need of pediatric home health care services in Great Neck NY or the surrounding areas, contact the caring professionals at Star Multi Care Services today at (631)956-8835. We are the Right Choice for Home Health Care Services!
From 1978 to 1986, Sternbach was associated with Automated Data Processing, Inc. (“ADP”)–a provider of information services, where he held several marketing positions before becoming the Director of Sales.
1999-2008 Sternbach was an active participant on the Board of Directors for Proginet–a computer software company based in Garden City, New York. He also served on the Board of Trustees of the Long Island Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society from 1996-2002.
In 1996, Stephen Sternbach was named “Entrepreneur of the Year” by Ernst & Young, Paine Webber and NASDAQ. Sternbach was also named in Crain’s New York Business Article, “40 Under 40” Successful Business Executives/Future Business Leaders in 1995. While maintaining a diversity of business and personal interests, Sternbach concentrated most of his efforts over the past 28 years towards continuously improving the quality of services delivered by the Star Multi Care Services’ family of companies.
Stephen Sternbach holds a Master of Public Administration from Syracuse University – Maxwell School of Public Administration and a Bachelor of Arts in Industrial Relations and Personnel Administration from Ithaca College.
Latest posts by Stephen Sternbach (see all)
- Being a “Care Partner” During the Early Stage of Alzheimer’s Disease - November 14, 2017
- What Should You Do First When a Senior Needs Your Help? - November 9, 2017
- Star Multi Care Celebrates Halloween in Style - November 2, 2017